For a healthier take on a buffalo chicken sub, add the buffalo chicken on top of a fresh salad with this recipe. This Buffalo Chicken Salad recipe is super fast and great for a weeknight meal. It’s cool and refreshing and hot and spicy all at the same time.
Before heading back to Spain from a quick weekend trip to Colorado, I picked up a bottle of Frank’s Red Hot. It was an entirely impulse purchase. I thought, this is something spicy and satisfying that I can’t get in Spain, and I chucked it in the cart. This was the result.
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup flour
- salad of your choosing
- ranch or blue cheese salad dressing
- hot sauce
- Divide the salad amongst four shallow bowls.
- Slice the celery crosswise, about ¼ inch thick, add to the salad.
- Shred the carrots or slice them about ¼ inch thick, add to the salad.
- Set the salad aside, or in the fridge.
- Place the flour and whisked eggs in two separate bowls.
- Cut the chicken into small cubes.
- Bring a saucepan to medium high heat. Working in batches, dip the chicken in the flour to coat, then the eggs (shaking off the excess) and add to the pan. Turn the chicken occasionally until browned. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Once all of the chicken is cooked, add half of the chicken back to the pan along with about ¼ cup of the hot sauce. Cook for two minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly and the chicken is cooked through. Remove and cook the remaining half with the sauce.
- Add the buffalo chicken to the salad and serve with your favorite ranch or blue cheese salad dressing.
A few tips: you can use Franks Red Hot sauce or any hot sauce of your choosing. The same goes for the salad, use whatever lettuce you prefer. If you are making enough for leftovers, set aside some of the chicken before adding the hot sauce in the pan. This way you can make the leftovers feel fresh by just adding the chicken and sauce in the pan for a few minutes right before serving. Also, you can split this recipe into two and use half of the chicken to make the Buffalo Chicken Salad, and half of the chicken to make Homemade Takeout: Sweet and Sour Chicken.