Finding ways to slow down and enjoy the people around you, soak in the outdoors, and appreciate the taste of fresh food isn’t easy. Being fully present is tough. One way to cultivate such a moment and separate yourself from those pesky internet connected devices is to plan an outdoor breakfast picnic.
Bring a few dishes from your kitchen to add an elegant touch, catching your eye, pulling you in, and distracting you from the hum of your phone. Grab a couple friends, a date, or a few family members and divide up who is bringing what. Check around the house for a large flat surface, such as a cutting board, and use it as a picnic table. Place all the fresh food on the board and it will become a focal point to gather around while sprawled out on the grass.
This picnic takes place in Parc de la Ciutadella in the center of Barcelona. Though it is a well visited park during the day, early mornings are quiet and only punctuated with the occasional dog and owner on their morning walk. Being able to soak up the rays in such a setting adds to the event’s simple charm.
Here’s how you can create your own breakfast picnic:
- Croissants: a selection chosen from your local bakery. Keep it simple, there’s no need to go baking up a storm for your picnic. Take advantage of your early rising local baker and snag some pastries to go.
- Mini Chocolate Chip Brioches: or really any freshly made pastry from your local bakery that will hit the spot.
- Fresh Raspberries: rinsed
- Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice: made at home or store bought. Making your own can be simpler than you may think and adding a touch of fresh juice may help you soak in the freshness of an early morning. Though store bought keeps things simple and still delicious.
- Grapefruit & Olive Oil: this one is simple, but takes a little bit of prep at home. See the recipe below. The grapefruit slices can be brought in a small tupperware and adds a colorful and fresh dimension to your breakfast picnic.
WHAT ELSE TO BRING:
- Cutting Board: Medium sized flat surface, like a cutting board to use as an informal picnic table
- Ceramic Bowls: A couple colorful ceramic bowls to liven up the event
- Serving ware: Plastic utensils, tupperware, napkins, cups and plates for easy cleanup
- Blanket: A blanket in case the grass is still covered in morning dew
The upside to planning a picnic for breakfast is that few other people will be doing the same thing. That means that you will hear the early morning birds as they chirp away and feel the dew on the grass. You will have the chance to take in the scent of morning full with the warmth of the upcoming day.
Fewer distractions with a “table” of fresh simple food as a focal point will help to keep you anchored to the moment.