These chocolate cookies have three different kinds of chocolate in them: high quality coco powder instead of flour, melted bittersweet chocolate chips in the batter and semi-sweet chocolate chips added to the batter at the end for an extra taste of gooey chocolate. There is no wheat flour in this recipe, only coco powder so the flavor of the chocolate is intense. These are also fantastic dipped in milk when warm.
- Since these cookies are all about the chocolate, it is important to use high quality chocolate when making the batter. That means high quality cocoa powder and high quality bittersweet chocolate which is melted to become part of the batter. Both Ghirardelli and Guittard are really good and are pretty widely available (Target, Whole Foods, larger grocery stores).
- The quality of the semi sweet chocolate chips added to the batter at the end is not as critical. I typically use Nestle chocolate chips.
- Make sure that the melted chocolate cools before adding it to the batter otherwise it may scramble the eggs.
- Stir the batter as little as possible, just until all the elements are combined.
Flourless Triple Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Ghirardelli coco powder (or other high quality brand)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup nestle semi-sweet chocolate chip
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, with a beater cream together the softened butter, sugar and brown sugar. Add the eggs and beat until just combined.
- Add 1 cup of Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips to a bowl and microwave at 50% power until melted, starting at 1 minute and continuing for 30 seconds at a time. Allow the chocolate to cool for a couple of minutes so that it is not hot and add to the bowl.
- Add the cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the bowl and with a spoon, stir until just combined.
- Add the Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Add about a large tablespoon of cookie dough for each cookie to a baking sheet, about 12 to a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.