These Italian Meatballs are so soft that they melt in your mouth. They're made of a combination of pork and beef, they're full of parmesan cheese, made extra soft with the addition of milk. Then they are cooked in Rao's, the best store bought tomato sauce. The trick is to add a cup of milk with all of the ingredients so that the meatballs are extra soft and melt in your mouth.
We have these either with a side of veggies or salad, over spaghetti, as meatball wedges, or just with a nice big loaf of sourdough to soak up the sauce. We have also played around with the recipe and done different combinations of pork, beef, and turkey all of which have had good results. These meatballs are super soft and melt in your mouth.
We use Rao’s marinara sauce. It is expensive, but well worth it for the quality. It doesn’t have extra sugar or additives and taste better than any other store bought sauce.
Melt in Your Mouth Italian Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ medium onion, minced
- ¼ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra as needed
- 2 24oz jars Rao's Marinara sauce
- Combine the ground beef, ground pork, garlic, onion, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, milk, egg, salt, pepper, basil, and garlic powder in a large mixing bowl. The mixture should feel very loose and wet.
- Heat several tablespoons olive oil (enough to lightly coat the bottom of the pan) in a large sauté pan at medium heat. Working in batches adding olive oil as needed, use a large spoon to scoop about a large tablespoon of the meat mixture into a loose ball and place in the pan. Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- In a slow cooker add a layer of tomato sauce and meatballs, alternating until all of the meatballs have been added, finishing with a layer of sauce. Set to high heat for about 30 minutes, then reduce to low for another 30-60 minutes or longer if desired.
- Serve over pasta, with a chunk of crusty bread, or on their own with a salad.