This chicken recipe is made by slowly cooking chicken in a light tomato and white wine sauced, served over brown rice with crispy bread crumbs and healthy crisp asparagus. It takes some time to put this dish together so its great for a weekend with less going on, or a Sunday night dinner that gives you lots of leftovers during the week. It's one of our healthier go to meals. Something we turn to when we feel like we've been eating too many heavy foods or simple carbs. It's a bit of work up front, but pays off in terms of lots of leftovers and nights where you don't have to cook.
There are a lot of steps in this recipe. Each part is so good that it's hard to eliminate anything. You could, for instance, skip the breadcrumbs and just add parmesan cheese, but the olive oil soaked crispy breadcrumbs are just so good. Or you could skip the asparagus, but it’s nice to have something green. You could, however, skip shredding the chicken. It’s nice to have it shredded, but not necessary. I'll also skip the chopped parsley if time is short. None of the steps are particularly complicated, but each one takes time. So, we only make it for dinner on Sundays. There will be plenty for leftovers, which makes it a good Sunday night meal to prepare for the week.
Mediterranean Style Chicken with Tomatoes, Asparagus, and White Wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup white wine
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2-3 lbs assorted pieces of chicken (breast, thighs, etc. – some bone in skin on)
- salt to taste
- brown rice
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced at an angle into one-inch pieces
- 1-2 cups panko
- ½ bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat a couple of tablespoons olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven at medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes or until it starts to brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, plum tomatoes, white wine, oregano, bay leaves, red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Add the chicken. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cook for 2-3 hours or until the chicken begins to fall off the bone.
- Ten minutes or so prior to the chicken being done, start a pot for brown rice. Prepare according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a sauté pan add two tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat. Add a cup or so of the panko breadcrumbs. Stir and watch carefully. Remove from heat when the breadcrumbs turn golden brown. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the pot. Take it off the bone and shred into pieces. Add the shredded chicken back to the pot.
- Add a small amount of water to a pot and bring to a boil. Place the asparagus in a fine mesh strainer over the pot of boiling water and cover for 5 minutes to steam. Do not overcook.
- Assemble in shallow bowls. Serve the chicken and sauce over brown rice in bowls, then add the asparagus and lastly sprinkle with parsley and breadcrumbs.
This recipe was adapted from mediterranean slow-cooked chicken in Good Food To Share by Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan.