Oversized cookies that are soft on the inside, filled with sweet white chocolate chips and salty crunchy pretzels, and topped with flaky sea salt.
I wanted these cookies to be nice and thick and yet still gooey in the middle, to give that nice satisfying bite. So I used a quarter cup measuring cup to portion out each cookie. These cookies are pretty similar to white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies, but macadamia nuts are really expensive so I swapped them out in favor of pretzels. The pretzels still give you a nice crunch, but they aren’t nearly as expensive and we often have them in the house. Be sure to use only high-quality white chocolate chips, such as Ghirardelli. The quality here makes a big difference.
Recipe Inspiration: I saw a picture online of white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies that looked fantastic, but I wanted to make a version that didn't need macadamia nuts since they're super expensive. So I chose crunchy salty pretzels instead. I also wanted them thicker, closer to bakery style, so I used a quarter cup measuring cup to portion them out and baked them for a little bit longer.
What Makes These White Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies So Good:
- They are sweet and salty
- They are soft and crunchy from the pretzels
- They are bigger and thicker than standard drop cookies, so they have a softer middle
- I buy regular small salted pretzels, any brand will do.
- It is very important to choose high quality white chocolate chips, like Ghirardelli. Store bought brands do not taste very good.
- Maldon Sea Salt Flakes can be quite expensive, but it is an item that is well worth it. I bought a box on Amazon over 2 years ago and we are still using it. We use it to sprinkle on cookies and pizza and all sorts of things. The flaky light texture of the salt make a big difference and a box will last you a long time. I've also seen it at Whole Foods, but you can probably find it at a number of different grocery stores.
If you're looking for more cookie recipes, here are 3 that I love:
White Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup pretzels
- 1½ cups white chocolate chips
- Maldon sea salt flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the softened butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and eggs. Then add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla.
- Add the pretzels to a plastic baggie and crush with a rolling pin. Stir the crushed pretzels and white chocolate chips into the dough.
- To form the cookies, press the cookie dough into a shallow quarter cup measuring cup. Turn it upside down on a baking sheet and if needed use a knife to scoop the dough out of the measuring cup on to the baking sheet. If needed, press the dough back together with your hands to form a nice quarter cup size round of dough on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with Maldon sea salt flakes.
- Bake for 12 minutes.