This recipe for hot mulled apple cider is perfect for a cold winters day and it’s a cinch to make. Its best accompanied by Christmas music, cookie eating, or some slow sipping after a leisurely breakfast. This cider is sweet and though there’s no caffeine there’s enough sugar to mimic the effect. You can also pour it in a thermos and take it on the road for any festive activities.
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 quarts cider
- 1 tsp whole allspice
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 3 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- extra cinnamon sticks (optional)
- In a medium sized pot, combine the brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- Put the spices in a mesh spice bag and add to the pot. If you do not have one, add the spices to the pot and later strain the cider before serving.
- Bring the cider to a low boil and immediately reduce to low heat. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve while warm with an added cinnamon stick in each mug or glass.