Ham, cheese, spinach, and red peppers are all mixed together with eggs in an easy to throw together meal that is great anytime of day. This Ham, Cheese, and Spinach Frittata is a super versatile dish. You can have it for breakfast or dinner, and we often have it for both. It is full of protein and vegetables, and you can often throw in whatever you have in the fridge. We usually have most of the ingredients on hand, so it’s a nice meal to turn to when we’ve run out of planned meals or have extra unused vegetables that we don’t have a specific use for.
The recipe can be adapted to whatever you have in the fridge. The basics are 10 eggs, 1 cup milk/cream, 1+cups shredded cheese. Then add an extra protein if you like such as ham, bacon, or sausage, and some veggies like spinach or peppers. I generally don’t add salt to this dish if I’m adding ham since the ham is plenty salty already.
You can add thick cut ham or slices of ham, which is often easier to find. I stack the slices of ham on top of each other and then dice them, tossing them in as though they are slices of thick cut ham. You can add crumbled sausage, or even chicken sausage, and many vegetables work well such as corn, zucchini, or baby bok choy. You can also make it ahead of time and just reheat it in the oven until warmed through.
My mom made this dish for us a number of times after we came home from the hospital with our oldest son. He arrived six weeks early and needed extra attention and care in those first few weeks. It was such a relief to have meals like this to all share together and to not worry about cooking. It is pretty quick to throw together and now it’s a part of our regular rotation either for breakfast or dinner, especially if we are looking for something filling but without a lot of carbs.
- We usually use either cheddar cheese, monterrey jack, or a combination of both.
- You don't have to sauté the spinach before adding it to the dish. You can add it directly to the dish without sautéing it, but the frittata will take about 10 minutes longer in the oven because of the water content in the spinach. So to save cooking time, we often sauté it in a pan first.
Ham, Cheese, and Spinach Frittata
- 2 packed cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 10 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 6oz ham diced, about 1 cup
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Butter a quiche dish, or other similar shallow round dish. Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Sauté the spinach with a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-low heat for a minute or two stirring until wilted. Remove.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, and milk.
- Add the spinach, onion, red pepper, ham and cheese. I usually reserve a small handful of the cheese and add it on top prior to putting it in the oven.
- Add the egg mixture to the quiche dish. Sprinkle the top with any remaining cheese.
- Bake at 325° F for 50 minutes or until the edges start to brown.